How do I file a complaint against SAPS?

How do I file a complaint against SAPS?

You can contact the SAPS Service Complaints Centre to register a complaint on SAPS service delivery, call 0800 333 177 or fax to 012 393 5452 or email: Service Complaints.

How can I take action against the police?

If you believe you’ve been unfairly treated by the police, or by other detaining authorities, we have the expertise and experience to help bring your case to justice. Call us today on 0800 028 1943 – or fill out our online form and we’ll call you back. I feel like I’ve taken on the world and beaten it, not just for me but for everyone else.”

What should I do if I encounter a police officer?

Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance. Avoid making sudden movements, and keep your hands where the officer can see them. Say you wish to remain silent and ask for a lawyer immediately. Don’t give any explanations or excuses. Don’t say anything, sign anything, or make any decisions without a lawyer.

What are the rules for dealing with police?

Always refrain from performing dumb acts and exposing yourself to anything which makes you an easy target. Doing something stupid or dangerous could put you on the wrong end of a Taser. Such encounters often determine the outcome between a minor infringement and a serious incident. This rule applies even if you are innocent of the original crime.

How can I bring a claim against the police?

Legal aid is available to bring claims against the police, provided you meet the financial eligibility criteria. If you don’t qualify for legal aid, we can offer conditional fee agreements (No Win No Fee*), fixed fee, or other funding arrangements depending on your circumstances.

What should I do if I get stopped by police?

Being stopped by police is a stressful experience that can go bad quickly. Here we describe what the law requires and also offer strategies for handling police encounters. We want to be clear: The burden of de-escalation does not fall on private citizens — it falls on police officers.

What should you do if a police officer asks you to hand over your phone?

If an officer orders you to stop recording or orders you to hand over your phone, you should politely but firmly tell the officer that you do not consent to doing so, and remind the officer that taking photographs or video is your right under the First Amendment.

Can a police officer stop you from filming?

If you are approached by the police while recording them you should state what you are doing and why. Non-profit legal service Caxton Legal Centre state in their Know Your Rights handbook,that police do have the right to stop you from filming if you are obstructing a police officer.

Where can I file a complaint against a police officer?

You may also contact the United States Attorney’s Office (USAO) in your district. The FBI and USAOs have offices in most major cities and have publically-listed phone numbers. If you would like to file a complaint alleging violations of the Police Misconduct Statute, Title VI, or the OJP Program Statute, you may send a written complaint to: